Day of Surgery
Please wear something comfortable that can be easily removed as you will be asked to change into a gown. If you are having hand, shoulder or upper extremity surgery, wear something with large flexible sleeves. Do not use cosmetics, make-up or hair spray. Please do not wear contact lenses and
leave money, jewelry and all valuables at home. You will be provided a patient locker to store your clothing.
Remove all jewelry, including body piercings. If not, the center will ask you to remove them. Once you are at the facility, you will be asked to complete necessary paper work including authorization to release information to your insurance company and consent for anesthesia and the operation.
Please bring valid photo ID and insurance card. In the case of minors (under 18 years of age), a parent or guardian must accompany the patient and remain at the Surgery Center. Female patients of childbearing age will be asked to provide a urine specimen for a pregnancy test during their admission
“What To Expect While Waiting For Your Family Member/Friend”
- Our Primary Concern is providing a positive experience, professional care, and comfort to your Loved One.
- When your family member is brought into the Pre-op Area, they will not be going immediately into the OR, rather they are being prepared and assessed by the Pre-Op Nurses, the Anesthesiologist and the Surgeon for Surgery. You can wait in the Pre-Op area only after the patient is changed and the IV is started.
- Once the patient is awake and comfortable after surgery, family members will be called into the PACU. The Recovery phase may be anywhere from 30 minutes up to 2 hours depending on the surgery and patient status.
- To protect all of our patient’s privacy, only 1 family member will be permitted into Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) at a time.
- Children are not permitted in the Pre-op or PACU Areas. You must be at least 16 years old to enter these areas.
- Please no use of cell phones in the Post Anesthesia Care-PACU Area.
- There are multiple Surgeons working daily, so others may be called ahead of your arrival into the Pre-op and/or PACU.
- If a period of time exceeds the “approximate length of surgery” please inquire with the front office staff.
- Due to Surgeon’s operative schedule, you may not see him/her after surgery. Discussions of post-operative findings will be reviewed during the first post-operative visit. (Please make sure to call the office to set up your post-op appointment, as we are only the Surgery Center responsible for surgical care.) The PACU nursing staff will go over any and all discharge/care instructions before leaving the day of surgery.